Sunday, February 10, 2008

8 February 2008: St. Ives


In the girl's bathroom is a container of St. Ives Lotion. I reached for it for its functional purposes, but this substance triggered a memory of my ex. My first memory of this smell stems from my ex, but I had forgotten that it was St. Ives Lotion. We met my second day of Freshman year, but I do not remember recognizing the scent until our junior year. I had gone abroad, things happened, we actually became a couple instead of just friends. My ex was my first love. We moved abroad together. The root memory is that of love, connection, and relationship. As I am at Notre Dame, I find myself continually returning to that bathroom to use this lotion. Its blue on white packaging symbolizes calm and purity. The Ivy font reminds me of Victorian times. This is a small decadent item with a time honored tradition. However, for me, this scent envelopes me in memories of love, connection, and relationships and instantly calms me. Scent is a funny memory and I found it amusing that I immediately recognized the scent without recognizing the product.

No comments: