Saturday, February 9, 2008

6 February 2008: Herbal Essence, an Orgasmic Experience?


As I was showing today, I realized that I was unhappy with the Suave conditioner I was using. I recalled that I had Herbal Esssence in my cabinet. I stopped my shower and pulled out Herbal Essene body envy volumizing conditioner.

At the store, I had several options when making my purchase. However, I knew I wanted to purchase Herbal Essence. My first memory of Herbal Essence is the Herbal Essence ad I saw as a late teenager of the woman in the shower having an 'orgasmic' experience. Granted, the actual orgasm aspect didn't arrest my senses. However, the concept that this was a shampoo that was going to make you shout out and make showers more fun did. The flowers in the commercial indicated a flower bouquet. As somebody with a very sensual memory, shampoo smells remind me of very specific periods of time in my life or very specific people. I also pick shampoo primarily due to the smell. I first used Herbal Essence in college and I remember feeling very 'upscale' using Herbal Essence instead of Suave. That I was moving up in the world because I could afford Herbal Essence. It also had functional benefits and did make my hair smell and look better. As I purchase shampoo while under budget constraints, Herbal Essence is a way that I can feel that I have splurged and that I am still moving upward, like I felt in college.

The color of the bottle is an orange with a spring green cap and an emerald circle at the top. Orange indicates energy and morning to me. It also indicates a feeling of heat and the summer. As the weather continues to get more cold, a little heat might be very nice. Then, the emerald circle reminds me of jewelry and flowers. This bottle could make something bloom that would be a very special treat. Then, the captions, body envy. I am always concerned about my perceptions in the world. What do people think of me. I have very long blonde hair and it has always identified me. People have also always admired it. I want people to envy the way I look and I never am able to get that. Next, the shape of the bottle is wavy, like wind through summer flowers. It is creative and expressive, just as I like to portray myself.

On the back it says "do you want to feel uplifted? Love you body with my light, lush formula fused with white nectarine & pink coral flower. I leave a life in all the right places and rinse clean to leave you with volume that minds and lots of balance for the ounce." The product has come to life, just like a flower. I can leave my life in all of the right places. The smell of nectarine reminds me of summers home from college. The refreshing yet invigorating feel of a cool shower washing away the work of the day and leaving you ready to go.

No comments: