Tuesday, February 12, 2008

11 February 2008: "How are You?"

A brief update on a previous post. Vanilla caramel tea is not really that good. I have been mislead by my desire for sweets! Back to the traditional English breakfast tea for me! Today I prepared for the midterm in this class. Even though I already commented about another television ad for Vodafone, I literally listened to the song from the 2001 "How are You?" ad for 30 minutes yesterday. This ad starts with a woman in black screaming while running towards something outside to a pop-like guitar riff. It cues to a woman walking in red with a wallet chain who answers her phone, smiling and saying "how are you?" Music has always indicated something. The major key in which this song is playing connotes a feeling of happiness. The constant eighth note tempo conveys excitement. While I never attended a rock concert outside, this ad reminds me of the first time I started thinking about rock concerts, as my friends went to go and see the "Spice Girls." The Spice Girls are English as is the girl in the first scene. Immediately, I am taken back to the excitement and happiness of being an energetic 13 year old, admiring this older woman, and wanting to be like her. The ad then moves quickly through the streets of China with a Chinese dragon. "We're Off." It appeals to my love of travel and the exotic. A group of girls giggling in a limo reminds me of prom films I watched as a teenager, again creating that cognitive objectivity. I want to be like these girls. "We're gorgeous." I remember being stuck in traffic more than once and wishing that I could leave it again. Few things are better than once that traffic actually clears. "We're stuck." The ad uses young people jumping off of cliffs or in a helicopter or at a football match to appeal to my sense of international excitement. The scene at the ballet arrests my art loving self only to be slightly irritated when the man's cell phone goes off. I would not want to be there either.

However, it is really Dandy Warhol's lyrics of the song "Bohemian Like You" paired with these slice of life images that captivates me.

Youve got a great car,
Yeah, whats wrong with it today?
I used to have one too,
Maybe youll come and have a look.
I really love your hairdo,yeah,
Im glad you like my do,
See were looking pretty cool, getcha.

Cause I like you,
Yeah, I like you,
And Im feelin so bohemian like you,
Yeah, I like you,
Yeah, I like you,
And I feel wahoo, wooo

This song is about self expression. Bohemians love art for arts sake. They do not want to impress anybody. They are cool by being themselves. I have always marched the beat of my own drum. I do not want to feel like I need to impress somebody. I want people to like me for me. The song lyrics makes me feel that Vodafone likes me for me. Who doesn't want a relationship with a company like that? Especially if it makes me feel excited, like it understands my situation, and makes me regress back to a very exciting and careful time in my life. That is a fun relationship to have and that is why I really love this ad.

"Hello. How are you? We’re Off. We’re gorgeous. We’re stuck. We’re free. I’m in a meeting. We’re in love. We’re groovy. (Mobile ring). I’m not here. We’re safe. We’re winning. I’m on my way.” Vodafone. The people you need are only a touch away. How are you?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnZD2A47LbE


No comments: