Thursday, February 21, 2008

20 February 2008: State Farm Insurance

State Farm sponsored tonight's ABC.com showing of Lost. As only one 30 second ad slot exists prior to the ability to watch the show, I watched the full State Farm Ad. The ad starts with an image of a 4 lane highway. People are driving very quickly. Driving in America indicates freedom. I remember my first driving experience. My mom got in the car and asked if I knew how to start and how to stop. I confirmed that I did. To which, my mother responded, then let's go. I was so afraid. The day I received my drivers' license, the first place to which I went was an orchestra rehearsal. Again, I was so afraid of driving. As I grew more comfortable, the car changed into an escape. I spent a lot of time commuting for an internship and as I grew professionally, the car representing my increase in confidence. It also increased my road rage. That was why the next portion of the ad appealed to greatly. It was not that there were only fast moving cars but also that the picture was disjointed with images of people eating dinner, neighbors speaking over a fence, two people speaking over a fence (indicating that they are neighbors). The cars moved swiftly and safely past these people. This oncoming traffic appealed to that sense of fear I exhibited as an early driver. I would not wish to hit these people. The people are shown in friendly situations. Speaking to neighbors or having a family dinner or planning in a playground are manners by which we express ourselves and embrace each other's happiness. We, as Americans, share in our joys, wanting to ambitiously succeed. America is a front porch country. That is where most of life is traditionally lived. In the home or in the front yard. As I watched the ad, the spokesperson said "remember that the people on the road are your neighbors and friends. They are not just in your way." It humanized the driving condition. We like to think that we are completely free on the road and that slower drivers are inhibiting our freedom. However, we do not view the same code with other people. Whether it be love, friendship, family, the outdoors. We treat these situations differently than we treat those on the road. This ad called our attention to our other codes. It definitely spoke to mine. The Farm connotes my rural upbringing, where it is one-on-one service. While I do not drive, I respect State Farm's ability to bring me 'home.' Home represents safety. If I remember those who are at home, I will want to keep them safe and they would wish the same for me. The marketing implications are huge but this is 'off-code.' It may take another follow up ad for people to feel comfortable with this dynamically continuous change in behavior.

No comments: