Saturday, February 9, 2008

7 February 2008: Breakfast of Champions

This morning, I poured my corn flakes (see previous entry) and got my cup of coffee and my banana and sat down to watch television and enjoy breakfast. As I sat there, consuming my breakfast, I felt so incredibly delighted. I realized that every morning, I love breakfast. My earliest memory of breakfast stems back to my early childhood. Clearly I would have eaten baby food as a child, but my earliest memory of eating breakfast is of eating Lucky Charms in my family home in Iowa. Lucky Charms were amazing, even though I usually picked out the marshmellows and the left the crunchy stuff. My mom would pour me my cereal and the milk and leave it out on the table. I would then turn on the television to PBS and watch Seasame Street or Reading rainbow before school. Cereal makes me feel loved and excited for the day to come.

I started drinking coffee my sophomore year in college after suffering from a cold. I had tried it unsuccessfully before, but my Mom has been drinking 2 cups of coffee every day for the past 30 years. My home always smelled of coffee in the morning. It has paradesense. It both relaxes me and makes me think of home while invigorating me. I do not have an earliest memory of experiencing the sensual memory of coffee because it is omnipotent. Coffee also equals love for me. But as a sophomore, I had a terrible cold and Mom recommended that I get something hot to soothe it. The only thing in Grab N' Go was coffee and it felt so good on my throat. It was a soothing cure.

Breakfast for me makes me feel like a loved child. The world has yet to make me stressed. For that 15 minutes, I am loved.

No comments: