Monday, January 28, 2008

28 January 2008: Sickly Eye & DanActive


On my last trip to Martin's, I walked down the dairy aisle and decided that I wanted to purchase something for a healthy snack. I wanted yoghurt. My strongest and earliest memory of supplementing yoghurt for a snack occurred when I lived in Ireland. Not only did my ex recommend that I take it with me for a snack but that purchase was also compounded by an advertising campaign that promoted yoghurt as having good bacteria. Good bacteria plus the healthy snack concept makes the concept for yoghurt exponentially more healthy to me. To flash back to the present, I am in the yoghurt section scanning the shelves for the yoghurt I want to take home. Normally, I purchase Danone Fruit Blends (for reasons to be explained in a different entry), but today, Dannon DanActive caught my eye.

The primary theme this product uses is a psychological one. The name DanActive plays upon the psychological relationship between activity and health. Furthermore, the small 3.3 oz bottle also uses a historical one as well: looking like a combination of an old fashioned milk bottle and a dram, often used by ancient pharmacist. The light yellow color is also associated with warmth and energy - two items that are critical for a healthy snack. Finally, its theme is also represented by the concept: "l.casei immunitas.' While this is Dannon's proprietary culture strain, the scientific names further the psychological relationship between science and health. Combined with the phrase 'helps strengthen your body's defenses,' it is no wonder that as I walk to the grocery store in the snow, I might be considering improving my body's defenses.

That makes winter an excellent time for Dannon to launch this product. It should continue to illustrate the health benefits through active people. It should then integrate this product into the work place or in to school. The body needs defense in a variety of places. Furthermore, the scientific name connotes intellect. A marketer could easily shift the healthy benefits from body to mind using this approach. As a student, I know I need all of my strength to succeed (both mental and physical) and might consume more DanActive to strengthen the mind.

No comments: