Wednesday, January 23, 2008

23 January 2008: Hershey Dark Chocolate Oxidants


Today, I went into the Dean's office to get my chocolate, as I always do. As I rummaged through the bowl, I knew exactly what I was looking for. I was looking for Hershey's Dark Chocolate. How can one tell it is Dark Chocolate just by site? Hershey's Special Dark Mildly Sweet Chocolate has a different wrapper. Its dark brown wrapper not only represents the dark chocolate it contains, but dark brown symbolizes wood or earth. Underneath the signature Hershey's logo, is a dark red label with "Special Dark Mildly Sweet Chocolate" written in gold letters. Dark red is associated with vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing, malice, and wrath. This dark brown with red label is mirrored by gold, invoking a concept of wealth or richness. Combined, these colors represent why I wanted that dark chocolate.

My first memory of dark chocolate was one of bitterness. It was not sweet. It was too rich. I couldn't eat a full bar. As a child, it is privilege to get a whole bar of chocolate and I was not going to show my parents that I couldn't eat it. However, as I grew up, dark chocolate became an indulgence. It was good for you. It was filled with antioxidants. I felt better about eating it and I valued eating it. The logo plays on the earthiness of antioxidants for the health conscience, the red symbolizes that vigor and longing I have for the bar, and finally, the gold helps me savor the richness of the bar. Even the texture enables one to cherish the Hershey's Dark Chocolate Bar.

As a manager, one should appeal to the American desire to be healthy. Emphasize how Hershey's Dark Chocolate indicates self improvement. Furthermore, position the product towards a reward for achievement. Dark chocolate is a prize for a job well done. The richness of the chocolate elongates the consumption process. The elongation makes people feel that it is a superior reward to others and something to strive to obtain. That is how a marketing manager would better appeal to me.

No comments: