Tuesday, January 22, 2008

20 January 2008: Starbucks Experience

I ordered my usual Starbucks caramel macchiato today. Nothing differed except that today I had brought my own cup. Why not use it? I hesitated for a second, remembering my Starbucks experiences of undergrad. Every Tuesday and Thursday I would get a tall caramel macchiato and go to my 9:30 class, Starbucks cup in hand. I then would inevitably end up playing with the cup in some manner during class. I would spin it around. Outline the logo and the stars on the cup. Then, at the end of the class, I would throw it away. Memory aside, I flashed back to reality and handed the girl my personal to-go mug, only to realize that I had saved 25 cents. It use to only be 10 cents. 10 cents does make a difference, but 25 cents gets you there faster. I then realized I was lamenting that it had increased because it meant that I would be bringing my own personal to-go cup from then on. I lamented for the following reasons:
  • Personal Starbucks experience: That cup plays a significant part of my memory. It reminds me of a time when I was more innocent and carefree. Changing cups means that I must disconnect Starbucks from that memory. It also signifies that I have grown up.
  • Status symbol: I do not recall my first experience of Starbucks, but I do recall my first experience of seeing others walking around the city with their Starbucks cups. Starbucks signified success. I always wanted to be a yuppie and the ability to purchase Starbucks daily contributed to my yuppie definition. As a result, carrying a Starbucks cup makes me feel like I am on my way to becoming a yuppie. It makes me feel powerful, affluent, and educated. Carrying my own cup takes away many of these things.
However, as I sat in Starbucks looking around, I found my solution. A to-go Starbucks cup. It looks like a Starbucks cup, only plastic rather than cardboard. Starbucks has caught on to these feelings. That is also probably why it is offering 25 cents off, suspecting that while most people will not be able to break with these strong memories, Starbucks will be able to support its Social Corporate Responsibility goals to reduce paper cup consumption and waste. Have I yet bought the Starbucks to-go cup? No. Do I want one? Yes!

Starbucks is a status symbol. As a marketing manager for Starbucks, I would start creating product offerings that emphasize the Starbucks to-go cup. Start showing it in ads. Make it part of the overall experience to appeal to those, like myself, who seek this status symbol. Make Starbucks both practical and a visionary to adhere to the American mentality and one may be able to increase overall sales (and make me exceptionally happy).

No comments: